Friday, 16 December 2016

A bit of knitting again ...

It was this year I started to learn to knit (again), after not knitting for many, many, many years (knitting was a serious childhood trauma). And for some odd reason I really enjoy doing it now.
Never thought I would confess that out loud. I knew how to do the knit and purl stitch but that was about it. I decided to practice my knitting with the Martin Storey KAL 2016 by Rowan Yarns (Nederlandse vertaling door de firma G. Brouwers & Zn.). So far I have knitted twelve different squares and I have also knitted some squares of the 2014 KAL.
The squares with cables are still on my to-do-list, but I am in no rush. Something else I started this year was a sock. Mán, knitting socks is hard. I had to unravel the whole thing ... 😢
But I won't give up, as I have now sock nr. 2 on my needles.
I have decided that this sock is just a test sock. It's a sock for practicing my sock-knitting-skills. Now, the reason I wanted to learn to knit is Fair Isle-knitting. I love, 💗, love Fair Isle-patterns. I am very fond of those slipovers from the early thirties and forties. Think Brideshead Revisited ...
I found this pattern I am now working on at the website of Garnstudio (in many languages!). The pattern, a potholder, is knitted in the round in two colours. I choose yarn from my stash: Drops Lima, a mix of 65% wool and 35% Alpaca in the colours 0619 and 0100. For a potholder the best yarn to use is 100% cotton, but I will not use my little project as a potholder.
I did make some mistakes, as I didn't count correctly, so I can only blame myself for that ,and now one or two of my rendeers will get a wobbly foot. But in the end, I am really pleased how it all turns out. And yes, I'll make another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment